Redick Newton ALLRED
Allred Lineage: Redick Newton, Isaac, William, Thomas, Solomon born 1680 England
Born: 02/21/1822 Farmington, Bedford Co., TN
Died: 10/10/1905 Chester, Sanpete Co., UT
Submitted by: Harley M. Busby 12/17/1998
December 30, 1997
LIFE SKETCH OF REDICK NEWTON ALLRED
(Company A, Mormon Battalion)
Redick Newton Allred, son of Isaac and Mary Calvert, was born February 21, 1822, in Farmington, Marshall County, Tennessee. Redick’s father, Isaac, was born in Pendalton County, South Carolina on January 27, 1778. Grandfather William and his grandmother, Elizabeth Thresher, had moved from Randolph County, North Carolina, to Pendalton County, South Carolina, some time between 1784 and 1788, as their oldest son James was born in Randolph County, North Carolina in 1784, while their second son Isaac was born in South Carolina in 1788.
Redick’s grandfather William was born in Hillsborough District, Randolph County, North Carolina about 1756. William’s father was Thomas who came to North Carolina before our country was a Republic.
It is likely that William, the father of Isaac, the grandfather of Redick, was married in Randolph County to Elizabeth Thresher, as their first five children were born in Randolph County. The family later moved to Pendalton County, South Carolina, where Isaac was born, but before he was two years old, the family again moved to Franklin County, Georgia.
The family remained in Franklin County for approximately 20 years. Later the family moved to Bedford County, Tennessee, and it was here that Isaac was married to Mary Calvert on February 14, 1811. A short time thereafter, Isaac and his new bride moved to Farmington, Marshall County, Tennessee. Here they remained for 17 years and their first 10 children were born, including Redick Newton and his twin brother Reddin Alexander. Shortly after the birth of their 10th child, Paulinus Harvey, the family moved to Monroe County, Missouri, and settled on the Salt River. It was here that Isaac Allred and his family, and some of the older married sons of James, settled and founded what was known as “Allred Settlement.” The Allred Settlement first heard the gospel in 1831 when Hyrum Smith, the brother of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and John Murdock preached to them. In 1832, George M. Hinkle, Daniel Cathcart, and James Johnson organized the Salt River Branch of the Church. Many of the Allreds joined the Church in 1832. Redick and his twin brother, Reddin, were baptized in the spring of 1833 by John Ivie, local Elder, and President of the Branch. The family remained in Monroe County from 1829 until 1835, during which time Mary Calvert gave birth to Joseph Anderson and Isaac Morley Allred. During this period however, the persecution became so great that the family moved to Clay County. The people there were so hostile that the family finally moved to Caldwell County. The family went through all of the persecutions incident to this period. It was from Caldwell County that the family was finally forced to flee through Governor Bogg’s exterminating order. They settled in the spring of 1839 in Adams County, Illinois. They later moved to Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, in 1840 when the Saints took up land in that area.
Redick lived with his parents in Nauvoo during the persecutions of the Saints there. He was well acquainted with the Prophet. As a boy, he watched both his father and his Uncle James engage in wrestling sport with the Prophet and Hyrum. The Prophet was in his home many times. While in Nauvoo, Redick worked as a mason on the Nauvoo Temple. He was later called on a mission, and labored in Cincinnati with Elder Andrew Lamoreaux and others. Redick was a good singer, so he did much of the singing while Brother Lamoreaux did much of the preaching. When Elder Lamoreaux went home, Redick went forward alone. When Redick was 21, he was married to Lucy Hoyt, daughter of James Hoyt and Beulah Sabin. They were married on November 26, 1843. Shortly thereafter they went to Patriarch Hyrum Smith for their Patriarchal Blessing, and among other things he promised them a long life. While in Nauvoo, Redick and his brother Reddin were made members of the Fourth Quorum of Seventies.
When the Saints were forced to leave Nauvoo, Redick, being without an “outfit”, drove a team for Y. Allen Taylor in the first company crossing the Mississippi river on the ice. He stayed with the George Miller Company as far as Garden Grove, and then returned to assist his own folks, being gone about 2 months. His family in the meantime had moved over to the Iowa side and with his assistance they were soon on their way. They soon passed Garden Grove, Mt. Pisgah, and joined President Brigham Young’s Company on the banks of the Missouri River in Pottawatomie County, Iowa.
It was while they were camped here that they were visited by Captain James Allen of the Regular United States Army. Captain Allen had orders from President Polk, authorizing the mustering of 500 Mormons into the Regular United States Army, for the purpose of marching to California to secure that area for the United States, as war had been declared against Mexico. The 500 men were soon mustered in, Redick Newton Allred being one of those who joined. He was made a 3rd Sargent in Company A. Also enlisting in Company A was his brother James Riley, his cousin James Tillman Sanford Allred, and Tillman’s nephew Reuben Warren Allred, son of James Carrell Allred. Eliza Bridget Mainwaring, wife of James Tillman Sanford Allred, and Elzadie Emeline Ford, wife of Reuben Warren Allred, were also permitted to accompany their husbands.
Redick enlisted on July 16, 1846, and after a ball given in the Battalion’s honor, the company set out for Fort Leavenworth, where they were to be issued arms and the accouterments of war. Redick left his wife and one daughter in the care of his father, and his oldest son was born shortly thereafter. The Battalion traveled down the east side of the Missouri River to a point opposite Leavenworth. Here they crossed the mighty Missouri and were issued rations at Fort Leaven-worth. Most of the men took their clothing rations in money, much of which they sent back to their destitute families.
Upon leaving Fort Leavenworth the Battalion followed the trail of General Kearney, Commander of the Army of the West who had preceded them. Because of the lack of rations and the forced marches imposed by Colonel Smith who had taken Captain Allen’s place, Captain Allen having died, many of the members of the Battalion were taken sick - so many in fact that Captain Higgins was detailed to take a company of over 50 to Pueblo, Colorado, where they were to “winter” as it was feared that if the sick accompanied the Battalion, their progress would be slowed down to a point that they would not be able to cross over the mountains before the dead of winter. The rest of the Battalion reached Santa Fe, New Mexico on October 12, 1846.
At Santa Fe, another group of 86 men were determined to be too sick to continue, and all of the women and children were detached and sent to Pueblo, Colorado, there to winter and then join the Battalion in the spring. Reuben Warren Allred, his wife, and James Tillman Sanford Allred, and his wife, accompanied this group. The rest of the Battalion, after receiving new rations, and a new commander, Colonel Philip St. George Cook, moved on toward California. After traveling about 300 miles south, still another group of 52 men were declared too sick to continue, they accordingly were detached to return under the supervision of Lieutenant W. Willis Higgins to Pueblo. This group, because of the extreme short rations, allowed them, their sickened condition, lack of transportation, and the lateness of the season in the high mountains of Colorado, suffered greatly before they reached Pueblo, December 20th to 24th.
The Battalion struggled on spending many, many nights without water and with only scant rations. Many became too weak to walk. It was only through assisting one another, their faith and prayers, that they were able to survive those long sustained marches. After struggling for 102 days from the time they left Santa Fe, they reached San Diego. The war with Mexico was over! The troops were engaged in building forts, homes, etc. at San Diego. Later most of the Battalion was moved up to Los Angeles where they remained until July 16, 1847, when they were mustered out of service. Redick was selected as a captain of 50 for the return trip. His brother, James Riley, was in his group as well as his brother-in-law Henry Hoyt. Redick, in being mustered out, was ill prepared to go home as he was still suffering from a fall with a mule suffered a month before his discharge.
On August 26, 1847, Redick, with his company, reached Sutter’s Fort on the Sacramento River 600 miles from Los Angeles. After resting a few days, they started again on their long trek to Salt Lake City. Henry Hoyt, Redick’s brother-in-law, was ill. Accordingly, Redick, with six of his men dropped behind his company. His brother James Riley was one of those who stayed behind with him. After resting 2 days, Henry decided he was well enough to travel, and was placed on his mule. But it soon became apparent that he was much too ill to travel. Hoyt, however, insisted on continuing, and Redick had to hold him in his saddle. Finally Redick had to break Henry’s grip on his saddle horn, and take him from the saddle. He held him in his arms, and in a few minutes his brother-in-law passed away. He was buried beside the road 80 miles from Sacramento.
The group overtook their company in Bear Valley. They proceeded the next day and met Samuel Brannan who was returning from Salt Lake City. The next day they met Captain Brown who carried instructions to the Battalion from Brigham Young to remain in California for the winter, unless the members were intending to return to their families at Council Bluffs, as rations were extremely low in the Valley, as the Saints had just arrived and were in an impoverished condition. About two thirds of the Battalion turned around and went back to California. James Riley was one of them. Redick continued on and did not even go to Salt Lake City. When they reached Fort Hall he sent Henry Hoyt’s outfit to his brother Israel by those going to Salt Lake. He also sent his fine mare to his brother Paulinus Harvey who had already arrived in the valley. He continued on to Council Bluffs where he arrived December 18, 1847, after suffering much hardship, as they had run out of food during the last 13 days of their return trip.
The following day, Redick crossed the Missouri River and went 8 miles to the “Allred Settlement” on the Little Pigeon Creek, where he found his wife and daughter with his father and father’s family. After the returned Battalion boys were rested, Brigham Young who had also returned to Council Bluffs proclaimed a jubilee in the log tabernacle at Kanesville in honor of all of the returned soldiers. In the course of the evening, President Young pointed to some of the Battalion members and said, “These men have been the salvation of the church.”
During 1848 Redick worked at sundry jobs attempting to get means whereby he could move west to join the saints. He also went to Fort Leavenworth where he drew three months pay. In June, 1849, we find Redick camped on the Missouri bottoms ready to move west. He was designated as Captain of the second 50 in Captain Allen Taylor’s Company. He had under his supervision 73 wagons. He was accompanied by his father, Isaac, and his family and his father-in-law and his family. His outfit consisted of a yoke of oxen on behind with a yoke of cows in front. His was to be lead wagon to the valley where he arrived October 16, 1949.
The Nauvoo Legion had been organized for protection against the Indians and a short time after Redick arrived he joined the Legion and was made chief of staff to General Eldridge with duties as drill master. During the winter the Indians attacked and Redick with a company was dispatched to Provo. Andrew Lamoreaux, an old missionary companion, was dispatched at the same time to Payson. Many Indians were captured, and others killed. One of the Legion, a brother Isaac Higbee, was killed in the skirmish, and several of the Legion were severely wounded. Redick, in attempting to find a place to settle, first tried at Sessions (now Bountiful) but he was told that the water at Sessions was not more than enough for the six families already located there.
Redick, with his brother Reddin, Paulinus Harvey, his father and other Allreds, located at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, where they had plenty of water, but little land. While living here, Redick’s mother, Mary Calvert, died September 16, 1851. Isaac then married Matilda Parks, a widow with three children.
In August, 1852, a special conference had been called for the purpose of calling missionaries into the mission field. One hundred and nine Elders were called during this conference. Redick and Reddin Allred were among those called to the Hawaiian Islands. Redick immediately started to put his house in order preparatory for his mission departure. He sold his goods and only team of horses for a poorer team, one of which he contemplated riding to San Francisco. The other he made available to Isaac Morley, his brother, with whom he had made arrangements to live with his family while he was gone, and take care of them and the farm land for one half of the crop. Isaac had one old horse which he supposed he could team up with Redick’s single horse. Brother Redick attended October conference, and upon his return home he found his youngest daughter, Lucina Azalia, extremely sick with fever and diarrhea. Brother Allred immediately administered to her and then sent to seek the united faith of the elders. De. Lee was also called in -- notwithstanding the sickness in his home, Redick went ahead with preparation for his departure. He and Reddin Alexander went over to Nathan Tanner’s as they had made preparations to travel together with him and Thomas Karren to San Francisco. Each was to furnish a horse and Brother Tanner furnished his light carriage. Brother Tanner and Reddin left in the evening for Dry Creek where they were to be joined by Brother Karren. Redick returned home, called his family together, administered to his sick daughter, called upon Brother T.G. Hoyt to offer prayer following which he consecrated himself and family unto the Lord. He left for Dry Creek the next morning where he joined his other three comrades. They traveled to Payson together, two riding in the carriage while the other two rode the other two horses. Thus they arrived at Payson where they met 38 others on their way to California. Here they organized their company for the long trek.
The company passed through Fillmore, Parowan, and Cedar Fort and then struck out through the desert. Their rations were scanty and they had long distances between water. But through the spirit of cooperation they soon reached San Bernardino where the Saints had built up a beautiful community on the banks of the San Bernardino River, and were welcomed by them. Redick described San Bernardino as indeed a “Land of Promise,” after having traveled through the desert.
The company stopped at San Bernardino for several days where the missionaries were treated royally. Here they disposed of their jaded animals and after a grand ball they left for Los Angeles with a great deal of reluctance as this was to be the last large body of Saints they would be privileged to mingle with for many months. The company soon arrived at “Pueblo de Los Angeles,” the former post of the Mormon Battalion of which Redick had been a member. The next day they went to San Pedro where they took passage on the brig Fremont for San Francisco, where they arrived January 8, 1853. After writing home, Redick and Reddin started for Salmon Falls to see their brother James Riley, and their cousin Reuben Warren of Mormon Battalion fame, and son of James Carrell, who was a son of James, a brother to their father Isaac. Salmon Falls was located near Sacramento accordingly they took passage on the river steamer Bragdon for Sacramento, a distance of 105 miles from San Francisco. After breakfasting in Sacramento, they walked to Salmon Falls where they found Reuben Warren and his family, James Riley being absent mining. James Riley was sent for and when he came in, tears came to Redick’s eyes because of the emaciated appearance of his brother for he had been toiling in the mines until he had almost lost his voice and to no avail, as he was very poor.
Redick visited with his brother for several days during which time he gathered contributions from the Saints and old friends who were there to assist with the payment of his passage to the Islands. Many contributed most generously of their meager earnings. After a 12 days stay, Redick and Reddin returned to San Francisco, where they took passage on the ship “Pacific” for the Hawaiian Islands. On the last day of January, after 17 days voyage they sailed past Diamond Head and into Honolulu Harbor. President Cannon was in the country when they landed, so they rented rooming quarters and took their meals at a Brother Lewis’s.
A conference was called at which many saints and friends reported. The first few months were spent by both Redick and Reddin in learning the language and preaching the gospel as best they could. At a conference held October 6th, Redick was appointed to preside over the conference which embraced the Island of Maui, with his brother Reddin, Francis A. Hammond and Napalia as assistants.
At the conference it was decided to select a place for the Saints to gather to “Zion.” Brother Hammond suggested a site on Lanai. As the committee designated to search out the site prepared to depart, Brother McBride took sick and Redick was asked to go in his stead. Brother Redick performed a wonderful mission - his day to day account is set forth in his diary. In the later months of 1854 however, his health began to fail and it was deemed advisable for him to return to Zion. Accordingly, he took passage on the good ship “City of Norfolk.” His brother bade him farewell after first supplying him with $10.00 which he had earned doing masonry work. The “City of Norfolk” landed in San Francisco on March 19, 1855. From March 19th to April 9th, Redick rested and visited Brother Parley P. Pratt and many other old friends and saints in and around San Francisco, in an attempt to regain his health. He also attended April conference called by Brother Pratt where he was called upon to speak several times. He also attended a reunion of the Mormon Battalion, attended by Captain Hunt of his old company A and ten other Battalion members.
On April 9th he and Captain Hunt took passage for Sacramento aboard the “New World” as Redick was again anxious to visit his brother James Riley, who was residing at Salmon Falls. From Sacramento Redick traveled by stage, a distance of 28 miles to Mormon Island. There he went to Brother Smith’s where they met Brother West and Brother Tanner who were mining and making preparation to return to Zion. Brother West took them in the evening to Salmon Falls where they met James Riley at the home of Brother Hanks.
The next day James and Redick went to see Reuben Warren who also was still living in Salmon Falls on the Sacramento River above Mormon Island. It was agreed the Brothers West, Tanner, Smith, James Riley, and Redick would return to Zion together, James Riley earning his passage by driving a team. On April 17th they left for Zion. The company consisted of 4 wagons and four loose horses. They traveled to San Francisco without instance. Leaving San Francisco, after much preparation and visiting old friends and acquaintances on April 26th, they were joined by many other saints going to Zion so that they soon had a company of 13 wagons. Brother Redick was appointed Captain of ten.
On May 17th, they arrived at San Bernardino after having passed by Los Angeles. After spending a few days repairing wagons and making general preparations the company left for Salt Lake where Redick arrived July 16, 1855. The next day Paulinus Harvey took Redick 20 miles north of Salt Lake City to Kaysville where he found his family well and happy to see him. His family was living in a house belonging to Shem Pernel near where his father Isaac and family lived. Redick’s family was in extreme circumstances as they had lost their two previous crops with the drought. Brother Redick rested for a month, then attempted to provide for his family, but having no money and grain being scarce he had a difficult time. If it had not been for the kindness of some of his friends, he and his family would have experienced much hardship during the winter months.
In December Reddin arrived home from his mission. He was accompanied by James Riley who apparently stopped somewhere along the way as Redick’s last mention of him was in San Bernardino, and whether he stayed there or whether he stopped in Southern Utah on his return home, the record does not elucidate.
At October Conference a call went forth for volunteers to go to the site of the handcart companies who, it was feared, would be caught in the mountains because of the late start of some of the companies. Redick volunteered and was appointed captain of ten. He later was placed in charge of the supplies. While guarding the supplies he received an express to come to the aid of Captain Willies’s handcart company, then at Stone Point. Redick immediately went with six teams. He met them 15 miles below in a most deplorable condition, but they extended succor and with loving hands were assisted and cared for and soon all arrived in the valley.
On January 11th, 1857, Redick married Amelia Jane McPherson in President Young’s office, with President Young officiating. A few months later on April 6th, 1857, a third daughter, Avelia Emmigene was born to Lucy and Redick.
Allen Taylor was set apart as Bishop of Kaysville Ward, and Redick was selected as first Counselor. He was also appointed to supervise the construction of the meeting house that was then in course of erection.
In 1857, the Military of Davis County was organized. Redick was made a Major and second in command to Colonel P. C. Merrill. On July 24, 1857, Redick, with his family, was celebrating the 24th of July up Little Cottonwood Canyon in company with Brigham Young and many others when word was received by A.O. Smoot and Porter Rockwell that Johnson’s Army, ordered by the President of the United States to subjugate the rebellious Mormons, was approaching the State. A council of the “Brethren” was called and a plan of resistance was decided upon. The Nauvoo Legion was placed on a war footing with General Daniel H. Wells taking the field in person. Major Redick and Colonel Merrill remained at home sending out detachments with food and supplies, until the Army, then camped at Black Fort, struck camp and started toward the city. The entire reserve was immediately called out and by forced march went immediately to Echo Canyon. The snow was deep and the cold intense. Soon the Army encamped at Fort Bridger for the winter and all of the men but one company returned home. Redick, being a member of the State Legislature, was relieved from further duty.
Early in the spring, President Young ordered all to abandon their homes and move south. Redick’s family went to Nephi while he remained behind as part of the rear guard. Through the efforts of Colonel Kane, Governor Cummings, the Appointee of the President, was induced to come to Utah without the Army. On doing so, he found the homes abandoned, and realizing the great mistake, he pled with the people to return. Later, President Buchanan, realizing his mistake, sent peace commissioners to the State and arrangements were made for the army to pass through the city and to encamp at Camp Floyd.
With the “War” settled, Redick determined to sell out at Kaysville and to join his family in Nephi where they planned on making a permanent home. Redick and his family raised two crops in Nephi. It was while they were living here that their son Neron Alonzo died, September 7, 1859, and was buried in the Nephi Cemetery.
In the fall of 1859, Redick and his family sold out and moved to Spring City. A city was laid out at the same place where his Uncle James had been driven out in 1853. Soon after Redick settled at Spring City, his father Isaac and his brothers Joseph Isaac and Sidney also located there. A Bishopric was appointed by Apostles Benson and Snow consisting of C.G. Larson as Bishop, with Redick as First Counselor and J.S. Black as Second Counselor.
On January 5, 1861, Redick married his third wife, Celestia W. Warrick. Redick was chosen Colonel of the Militia of Sanpete County, and served in this capacity during the Black Hawk War. Redick indicates that for 5 years he was so busily engaged that he did not have time to keep a diary and that he did not have opportunity to provide properly for his family.
Redick served 5 terms in the Utah Legislature. His last term was during the winter of 1869-1870. When peace was established, Redick, because of his many experiences and the extreme rigors of carrying on the War against the Indians, was prostrate with rheumatism. He was, however, able to go to Chester and file on some land there. He later traded his land in Spring City and moved to Chester. His brother, Isaac, and Sidney, also his son, Redick R. Located there.
On July 6th and 7th, 1877, President Young and a party from Zion organized the Sanpete Stake with Canute Peterson as President. Chester was organized as a Ward, and Redick was set apart as its first Bishop, with John L. Ivie and John Filby as Counselors. His wife Lucy was made the first Relief Society President.
A cooperative store was organized at this time and Redick was elected President. In 1888 Redick was indicted under the Edmund-Tucker Law. To the indictment he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 60 days in the State Penitentiary and $50 fine. While at the Penitentiary, Redick bunked with his son Charles who had been sent to the Penitentiary for having committed an offense against the State. Redick also had an opportunity to visit with George A. Cannon who was confined to the Penitentiary at this same time. He was released from prison on December 21, 1888. Brother Allred returned to his waiting family in Spring City by train. Redick provided a home for Lucy and her family in Spring City. His second wife, Amelia, remained on the farm in Chester.
For many years Redick served as a home missionary. He was also called by the General Sunday School Board to visit the Sunday Schools in Juab Stake - this he did in company with President Paxman.
Redick’s stepmother, Matilda Stewart Parks, died on January 23, 1900, at the age of 91 years, 4 months and 15 days. She was buried at Spring City beloved by her many posterity. One of the saddest days in Redick’s life was on when he received notice of the death of Reddin Alexander Allred, his twin brother who had died in Thatcher, Arizona. They had been very close all of their lives.
Redick lived for another 5 years extending help and assistance far and wide. He died on October 10, 1905, and indeed was one of the great and noble men of the church and the nation.
His children by his first wife are as follows:
- Isaac Newton, born 1 October 1844, died 11 October 1844.
- Lucy Adeline, born 29 December 1845, married Henry Stevens.
- Redick Reddin, born 26 November 1848, married Eliza Elvira Allred.
- Girl, stillborn, 4 March 1850.
- Lucina Azelia, born 20 September 1851.
- Avelia Emmagene, born 6 April 1856, married George Mills
- Newera Martina, born 1 January 1858, married Joseph Blaine.
- Janette Adalade, born 11 February 1860, married Christian Anderson.
- Henry Delos, born 17 March 1862, married Edith May Ivie.
- Mary Matilda, born 21 October 1869, married John Robinson.
His children by Amelia Jan McPherson:
- Neron Alonzo, born 2 July 1858, died 7 September 1859.
- William N., born 8 February 1860, died 10 October 1869.
- Albert Milton, born 23 August 1862, died 23 August 1863
- Mariam Armilla, born 5 April 1865, died 7 March 1927, married Fredrick H. Crandland.
- Charles Rich Allred, born 24 September 1867, died 3 November 1928, married Hannah Druzilla Nelson.
- Pratt Dimon, born 22 August 1870, married Nora Nyburg.
- Lydia Jane, born 13 April 1873, died 15 February 1918, married David Crandland.
- Wilfordj LeRoy, born 7 September 1876, married Roselinda A. Christenson.
- Frank LaSell, born 26 April 1879, died 4 March 1880. (Birth and death dates obviously wrong) Jeddie Mac