Niels Christen JENSEN

Born: 06/30/1842 Mosburg, Denmark,
Died: 12/14/1916 Spring City, Sanpete Co., UT

Submitted by: Sharon Allred Jessop 02/09/1999


Harriet Ethel Jensen Woolsey History

1903 TO 1921

As I was reading the history of Spring City, it brought back many wonderful memories of my growing up years in Spring City. The following is some of those memories:

My grandparents were Niels C. And Dorthea Gertrude Jensen, (known in Spring City as Brother and Sister Tinker.) They came to Utah from Denmark on 24 July 1880, because their best friend Jim Christensen had settled a few years before in Utah. They came to Spring City and made their home. They had two girls, Sine and Andrea, who had come a few years before them, with returning missionaries. Maria, Amanda, and (Jens) James came with them. Niels, their last son, was born 24 May 1881, in Spring City. Niels went to school only to the fourth grade. Frank Allred was one of his teachers. Sine had little schooling, but went to Salt Lake to work. While in Salt Lake she married Carl Emil Nielsen. Later Emil married second wife because of polygamy.

They moved to Juarez Chic, Mexico. Later Maria married Calvert Allred. When their first child was born, Calvert took her younger sister, Andrea, as his second wife, in 1892. They moved to Jaurez Chic. Also Amanda married Edward Hansen.

Grandpa decided to go to Mexico, so he sold his home and moved. They took their two sons, Jim and Niels with them. They were there 18 months. Grandma didn’t like it, she missed her Danish friends. She didn’t know how to speak English very well. Grandpa took Jim and came back to Spring City, but Grandma and Niels didn’t come back until six months later.

In the summer of 1901, Grandpa, Grandma and Niels went to Mexico to visit their three daughters. Jim had married Alice Downard. While at a dance in Juarez, Niels met Harriet Emma James and on 14 November 1901, they were married by Anthony W. Ivans for time and all eternity. Grandma and grandpa Jensen went back to Spring City and made their home again to stay, in 1903. Niels and Harriet came to Spring City and went through the Manti Temple to receive their endowments and be sealed again.

On the 5th March 1903, they were blessed with a baby girl (me). In June they returned to Mexico to live where Niels had a job in the saw mill of his father in law, Joseph James.

They had two daughters born to them, one in Dublan Chih and another in Hernandez Chic, Mexico. Lula was born on 3 December 1904 and Mabel on 19 November 1906. Again Niels and Harriet came back to Utah in January or February of 1909. A son, Carlos Brigham was born 3 March 1909.

Now I begun my life in Spring City. We lived in Wayne’s home on the road to the depot for two years. I went to the first grade in Spring City and Eva Allred Erickson was my teacher. Also Marett Allred was one of my teachers.

One Xmas I got the most beautiful boughten doll. She was so pretty. In November, 1911, they wanted Niels to come back to work in the saw mill. So, mama and Carlos as well as the three girls left and went back. Dad was to come later. Grandma met us at Dublan where the train came in and we left for her home in the Mt. to Hernandez. Grandmas home.

There was a lot of trouble with the rebels who were at war. They were raising trouble by stealing the Saints cattle and taking all of their ammunition and guns. They finally had to leave to save their lives. Mother wrote to dad and told him to stay there because she was coming home. When mama got back, dad bought ½ acre lot and build a log cabin on with one big room. Later he bought a shanty and grandpa Jensen lived in the back.

On April 2, 1911 Mae Vernetia was born. She was very sick. When she was year old she nearly died, but she finally pulled out of it.

Grandma James and her family had gone to El Paso, Texas where the government set the refuges up in an old lumber shed. There was no water, no restrooms or anything else. They slept on the floor with one quilt over them.

In July, 1912 grandma James came to Spring City with five children, Edith, Walter, Ethel, Naomi and Ruth. They left with just the clothing they had on their backs. There was no place to live so dad gave them the log house. When Mama came back they bought a house a half block to the South and across the road East of John S. & Serilda Blain. They had a log cabin put on it and later they bought a one room which they moved to the back of the log cabin. Dad bought the new brick house on the block Northeast corner of the school yard and West of John Robinson’s home. We still had a garden with fruit trees and berries where Grandma lived.

I had my first birthday party at the log cabin. I invited my school chums. In those days they gave you an egg worth 1c. We also had cake. The two Hansen girls got mad about something and wanted their eggs back so mama gave them back to them. We enjoyed the brick house and it was close to the school.

John Robinson’s wife and mama used to get up at 4:00 a.m. Monday morning to see who could get their wash out first. Me being the oldest, it was my job to turn the wash with a wooden barrel tub and a handle and you push in towards you and push it back. It would turn the dolly on the washer and wash the clothes. I could stand on the porch and see the kids on the school grounds when it was time for the bell to ring. I would ask mama if I could go yet and she would tell me to wait until the big bell rang out. Then I would run like a deer to make it to the last line since it went by grades 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. I would usually make it to the last line up.

One day after recess, while going up the steps with a basketball under my arm, Boyd Allred knocked it out of my arm. The ball hit someone else and I was expelled from school. I had to get mama and she went with me to see John P. Johnson, Trustee, to get a permit to return to school.

If we were caught talking and not working, the teacher would hit our hands with a big long ruler. Then we would have to write what we were suppose to be doing 100 times on the black board or stand in the corner until school was out then clean up the black boards.

My second and third grade teacher was Mrs. ____. She sure did let us get by. We would hurry and get our school work done and she would read us stories at 2:00 p.m. She would send the boys to Larson’s Store to buy peanuts and candy so we could eat while she was reading stories instead of having phonics. Lee Allred was our fourth and fifth grade teacher. He said that we sure were a bunch of dumb kids. We didn’t know how to pronounce our words. He said, “You kids are the dumbest bunch of kids to be in the fourth grade that I have ever seen.” He sure did teach us a lot. I remember very well how he taught me to pronounce words and read. He did help the whole class. I had Fred Strait for sixth grade and he was a good teacher also.

We used to go on an April Fool’s Day Run Away, such as go to the Power Plant or else the Depot. We would see who could get to the top of the water shed first.

February 12, 1914, Rex was born. I used to go around with older girls than myself. I can’t recall their names. We used to gather Sunday eggs as they were called. We gathered eggs on Monday and went to the new ward chapel with all of the eggs laid on Sunday. The people said that their chickens laid more eggs on Sunday than any other day of the week.

When I was in the fifth grade, I was sitting in my seat and Boyd Allred was in the seat behind me. I was reading and all of a sudden I jumped up and yelled. Boyd had put a pin in the toe of his shoe and had stuck it up between the seats. Boyd and Burns Allred went up the same road as I did. They were always doing something to make me cry. One day mama said, “I am tired of you coming home every night bawling. You hit them or I’ll whip you.”

Across the bridge of the canal they had cut a tree down that ran from South to North through town below where we lived. Burns crossed the bridge and I grabbed him and knocked him down and rubbed his face real good with chips. After that they were my best friends.

In 1950 Burns worked for my dad in Provo, and he told dad he was the meanest kid in Spring City.

I remember the dances in the hall and Jimmy Riddel with his violin playing. I watched the polka, two step and square dance. I really enjoyed them. We loved the moving pictures. My sister Lula and I didn’t have the 5c for the movie, so I would go around town with the bills for the shows until we got a ticket. I made 5c for walking in mud, snow and gravel. There was no cement sidewalks on the roads in those days. How I loved to watch the person who played the organ during the silent movies.

The Kings had a hall in the South part of town. I remember Leonard Barrymore, Loretta Young and others. When there were no shows to go to, we would roller skate during the nights. Lula & I helped clean so we could get the ticket for roller skating. One time they all got in a big line and we cracked the whip. It was so long and the last guy came around so fast that he hit the big pot bellied heater and down came the pipe and suit went all over the place. There were also sparks from the wood and coal.

Another thing that I remember was the rabbit hunt. There were so many rabbits that they were like flies on a screen door. People from Mt. Pleasant on the North and Spring City on the South would take big long clubs and start close together with their club in hand and then drive the rabbits into a bunch and kill as many as they could. When Mt. Pleasant and the Spring City met, the one with the most killed rabbits was given a supper by the losers. They had a big time at the end of the day.

In 1916 the new junior high was built and we went to school there. They had a nice gym and rest rooms. James W. Blain was the Principal with Reid Allred and Miss Madsen and Mr. Smith as the mathematics teachers. I can remember Parley Hansen’s son had one leg, but how he could run down the basketball court with his stump of a leg he would make a basket every time he threw a ball.

1917, during World War I, my Uncle Walter James was drafted. 1918 the flu epidemic came to our school and the school was closed. Every family had at least one case of the flu. Our family was all down and mama had another baby, O’Niel on October 3, 1918. Donna Justesen stayed with us until mama was well enough to get up. I was the last to get the flu. I had to milk 2 cows, feed the pigs and chickens. When I had the flu, my cousin Harvey Hansen came to do the milking. After I got better I stayed with Marrietta Kelsey and Joseph Downard until they were up and around. I recall going to Allred Drug to get medicine for grandpa Jensen. Also, Allred pulled several of my teeth with pliers he used. We had no dentist, but finally in 1919 a dentist came to Mt. Pleasant. I had a bad tooth ache, so I walked to Mt. Pleasant, which was 5 miles. Oh, how I remember getting it filled. He used a chisel and put it on the center of the tooth and hit it to break the enamel to make the hole. Then he used like a cork screw type instrument, put it in and twisted the nerve on it and pulled it out. Did it ever hurt. Not long after that, my tooth broke off and I had to go get it dug out. They used no anesthetic in those days. People didn’t realize how bad it was with all of the modern things to work with today.

During the summer of 1918 I worked in the beets blocking and thinning and was paid $15.00. This money was to pay for tuition to high school at North Sanpete High School.

I can see Semon Beck when he got his first car. He came to the field and wanted to stop. He had hold of the wheel and yelled, “Stop, stop.” Someone else yelled, “It isn’t a horse, step on the brake.” We all had a great laugh.

The school board bought a new bus. It ran by gasoline to Mt. Pleasant. It was a wonderful bus. How proud we were riding on it. We felt like millionaires. I rode the school bus that came between 1st South and 1st North and arrived at 7:30 a.m. I have a picture of the bus and Mr. Robinson was the driver.

My dad had been working at Manti in the Court House. He was County Assessor, but was staying in Manti at Uncle Jim and Aunt Alice’s home. Uncle Jim was the Cashier of the Manti City Bank. Uncle Jim bought one of the first cars. He came to Spring City to show it off. When he went home, I went back with them to stay for awhile. As we were going up the hill, Aunt Alice said how fast the telephone poles went by. It was like riding in a buggy and watching the fence posts go by.

In January. 1920, when the election was over, a new man became Assessor so dad lost his job. They were building a sugar factory in Centerfield, so he got a job there. In April they moved to Centerfield. All the family went accept myself and Lula. She stayed at Aunt Amanda’s place and I stayed with Grandma Elizabeth James until school was out then I went to Centerfield.

Grandma James moved to Provo by her daughter Edith. Walter and Ethel had married, so Naomie and Ruth made their home with her in Provo. My dad worked at the Moroni Sugar Factory. He rode his bike or walked to work and home.

We used to ride our sleds in the winter. We would run and jump on it and ride it as far as the creek bridge before it would stop.

From 1920 to 1921 I went to school at Gunnison High School. I graduated with six other girls. We were the first graduating class from the Gunnison Valley High School. Here I met Leonard Woolsey. We were married February 9, 1923 and moved to Salt Lake City. I have seven sons, Jack Keith, Lloyd Leonard, Bert William (died 12 March, 1960), Robert Brigham, Ray Eugene, Ned James, and Earl J. Woolsey. They now all have families of their own. Leonard died 8 December 1951. I have 20 grandchildren, 28 great grand children and 5 great great grandchildren.

Harriet Ethel Jensen Oct. 12, 1987 Salt Lake City, Utah

(Parents of Gertrude Maria Jensen Allred)

A biography written by Harriet Ethel Jensen Woolsey, - granddaughter

Feb. 12, 1978

Almost everywhere in Denmark, one breathes the sea air. The one exception is on the peninsula of Jutland (Jylland), where South Jutland borders West Germany. All the rest of Denmark is surrounded by water.

There are no mountains in Denmark. The landscape is gently rolling. In some areas low hills rise between the Plains.

The west coast of Jutland, along the North Sea, is lined with ridges of sparkling white sand dunes. There are heaths and moors in the western part of Jutland, which have been turned into needed forest and farm lands.

During most of the year westerly winds, blowing over waters warmed by the gulf stream make the weather relatively mild for so northern a country. Until 1880 the Danes were mostly producers of grain, cheese and fishing.

In 1814 Denmark became the first country to make elementary education compulsory.

The Danish people make their homes cozy, warm, attractive and friendly to every one. The home may include a shining old stove, antique table and chairs from the early 1800's.

The Danes love to eat. Many Danish housewives are good cooks. They make their own bread and pastry to serve their friends and all who come to their home.

In 1814 the State Religion was Lutheran. The Danish King was also the head of the Church.

In the far northern part of Denmark, about 25 miles west of Frederikshavn, lies Hjorring, which is 30 miles northwest of Skagen. On the very tip of Denmark, in the North sea, about 2 ½ miles across the ocean from Sweden is Hjorring. It is about the same as the United States . In the farm town of Mosbjerg, in a rolling valley of green, was a cottage which meant much to the Jensen family. Here lived Niels Christen Jensen and his lovely wife Dorthea Marie Jensen. They were farmers, owning a cow, a pig and being close to the sea, they caught a lot of fish.

Note: A map of Denmark shows Hjorring as being west of Frederikshavn and southwest of Skagen. Skagen is on the very tip of Denmark, about 2 ½ miles across the North Sea from Sweden. All three towns listed, Hjorring, Frederikshavn and Skagen are within the conference (county) of Hjorring. The other conferences, Randers, Aalborg and Aarhus are on the east coast of the Jutland peninsula.

Let me tell you about this dear couple, Grandpa and Grandma Jensen. Niels Christen Jensen was born 30 July, 1842 to Jens Nielsen and Gertrud Marie Hansen. He had two brothers:

Hans, born 5 Nov. 1840. He was the oldest. Andres Christen, born 30 June, 1844, his younger brother.

What a happy family. But it didn’t last long for Niels was not yet 4 years old when his father died. This was on 30 April, 1846.

Gertrud remarried on 6 Oct., 1846 to Ole Christen Christensen. To this couple were born five children.

Jensine Amalie 22 Jan 1849

Lasmine Christine 2 Feb 1852

Ane Madsine 29 Mar 1854

Christian 16 Apr 1858

Christiane 4 Jun 1865

They believed in God and attended church, where all of their children were confirmed when they reached 14 years of age. This was the custom of the church in Denmark.

Niels grew up helping around the house and going to school. They could go on to a higher school to learn, or go to learn as an apprentice. Niels made his career as a tin smith or tinner, which trade he followed all of his life.

In the year 1864 when Niels was 22 years old, he met a sweet Danish girl by the name of Dorthea Marie Jensen, daughter of Jens Christen Neilsen and Ane Marie Andersen. They married 9 Nov. 1864. To this couple were born:

Sine Oline 3 June 1867 Tolne, Hjorring, Denmark

Ole Christian 14 Oct 1868 Mosbjerg, Hjorring, Denmark

Gertrud Maria 16 Oct 1870 Tolne, Hjorring, Denmark

Andrea 23 Oct 1872 Tolne, Hjorring, Denmark

Amalie 9 Apr 1875 Mosbjerg, Hjorring, Denmark

Hansine Josephine 8 Aug 1876 Mosbjerg, Hjorring, Denmark

Niels Brigham 28 May 1881 Spring City, Sanpete, Utah

(Hansine died 8 June 1877 from scalding by hot water. Ole died in Denmark on 18 March 1890 while still with his grandparents.)

Niels worked hard to provide for his large family. He made all kinds of things from tin which he sold. I know how they scrubbed and cleaned the stable, in as much as they had a cow and a pig.

In the year 1850 a new religion hit Denmark, but the missionaries who were there had to leave for awhile. In 1852 they returned to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. How long it was before the family first heard about the Mormons, I do not know. In the fall of 1869 the missionaries came to their town.

Niels had a very dear friend, Jim (or Jens) Christensen. These two men were very civic minded and heard about the missionaries. They didn’t want this awful church to come to upset or hurt their families. Upon hearing that there would be a meeting in the town that night, they decided to go to this meeting and break it up and invite the Elders to leave town. They arrived at the meeting a little late and being gentlemen, they decided to sit down and wait until the meeting was over, then take the Elders out of town and bid them farewell. Before the meeting was ended, however, as they listened to the Elders, a big change came over them. The Holy Ghost testified to them that what the Elders said was the truth. They spent the most of the night with the Elders, not to take them out of town but to listen to their message and ask many questions about this new religion.

The Elders taught them and both men accepted the Gospel and became Mormons. Niels was baptized 1 Jan. 1870 by Andrew Petersen and confirmed the same day. Dorthea wasn’t so quick to accept this new religion and have her family and friends turn against her. But finally she gave in, so on 1 Jan., 1873 she too went into the water to be baptized by Elder Andrew Petersen and confirmed the same day.

Their eldest daughter Sine Oline was baptized 4 July, 1876 by T. Y. Jensen and confirmed the same day.

Gertrud Marie was baptized 12 Nov. 1878. Dorthea’s mother, Ane Marie Anderson accepted the Gospel and was baptized 4 July 1876. Her father died 8 Dec. 1873, not being baptized a member of the Church.

Ole never accepted the Gospel and died 10 years after they came to Utah. He died in Denmark on 18 March 1890 and grandpa did his work in the Manti Temple. He was baptized 15 July 1890, Endowed 18 July 1890, and sealed to his parents 18 July 1890. The rest were baptized in Utah. Andrea was baptized 16 Oct. 1882 by John Robinson and confirmed by M. Mortensen. Amalie on 2 Sept. 1883 in Spring City by Samuel Allred. (Jens) James Nielsen, and Niels Brigham, born after they came to Spring City on 24 May, 1881 was baptized on 24 May, 1898 in Spring City by Niels Christen Jensen and confirmed by James A. Allred.

After they were baptized, they wanted to come to Zion. They worked hard and made every effort to get enough money to come to Zion. They went without to have the needed means to make the trip.

Finally in the Spring of 1879, a company of Saints were coming to Zion with the missionaries, who had completed their labor and were going home. They hoped to be ready to go with them, but when the time arrived to go, there wasn’t enough money to make the trip. Niels closest friend, Jim (Jens) Christensen was also going. He was a missionary, however, and they offered to help by taking two of the girls with them. Sine, eleven years, who could go for half fare and Andrea, five, who could go free of charge, and who if they waited another year would have to pay full fare.

It must have been hard to make the decision to let the two small girls go so far away to a strange land, strange people and a strange language to learn. But, they decided to let them go because of their desire to be with the Saints in Zion, and their dear friend Jim Christensen and with love and faith in the missionaries. They got their two little girls ready and sent them thousands of miles away across the great ocean, not knowing how soon they might see them again.

Niels was a stern man, but he took his oldest daughter in his arms and kissing her and shedding a few tears said, “Sine, I know I’ve been cross at times with you, but don’t hold it against me, remember I love you very much.”

He made a little tin cup and plate for each of the girls, which they carried with them to eat and drink off of while on their trip to Utah.

Sine spent her twelfth birthday on the sea. She tells how lonesome it was and how they missed their parents and sisters and brothers back in Denmark.

They left Denmark 23 July 1879. The following summer, another group was going to Utah, and again their plans were to go with this company, but as the time drew near, still there wasn’t enough money to make the trip for all of them. Niels decided to send Dorthea and the other three children, Gertrud Maria, Amalie and Jim (Jens) Christian Joseph. He and Ole, his eldest son, would stay and work and come later with another company.

Niels’ parents were very much opposed to Mormonism, and did all in their power to prevent their son and family from going to Utah with these Mormons. But, when they saw that he was sending his family away alone to a far off country, and nothing they could do to stop him, they told Niels if he would relinquish all claim to their Estate and would leave Ole with them, they would give him the needed money for the trip to Zion, so he could go with his family.

What a heart ache it was again to leave his eldest son behind, but they figured he’d come over later. Anyway Ole had lived most of his life with his grandparents. They were old and needed him. So, Niels and Dorthea accepted their offer.

After getting all their belongings together that they could take with them, selling and giving away the rest, they packed and were ready to go to their new home in a new country far away from Denmark.

They left in May on their journey. In F Utah 7, Scandinavian Mission Records, it said, Han Peter Jensen, President from Salling Randers and Hjorring, a company of 248 emigrating Saints from the Scandinavian Mission sailed to Copenhagen. They sailed from Cophenhagen 5 July 1880, at 6:00 p.m. as passengers on board the steamship “Leo”. They were from Aalborg, Aarhus and Christiania Conferences. Elder Niels P. Rasmussen acted as their leader to England.

A few minutes later the steamship “Cato” sailed from Copenhagen having 346 emigrating saints from Slotholn, Goteberg, Shane from Copenhagen Conference and arrived in Hull, England 9 July 1880.

The “Leo” arrived at Hull, England 9 July 1880 in the afternoon. The emigrants continued by rail to Liverpool, England and there embarked on the Steamship “Wisconsin”. Together with 113 British Saints and five more returning missionaries they continued.

The company was organized with Niels P. Rasmussen as President and John A. Halverson and Hugh Findley as assistants. Groudy Hogan was appointed Chaplain for the Scandinavians and Charles H. French recorder for the company.

The “Wisconsin” sailed from Liverpool, England on 10 July 1880 with 707 emigrating Saints; 113 British and 594 Scandinavians and 20 return missionaries. One accident occurred. The son of William Fames fell and dislocated his arm, but quickly recovered.

But, the company was increased by one on July 19th, when Hans Petersen’s wife, on board the Wisconsin, gave birth to a baby girl. Carl A. Sundstrom and Emma Erickson were married 16 July 1880.

The ship arrived in New York in the evening of 20 July 1880. William C. Stains came aboard, but the company being so large they could not all pass through the customs house that day, so they spent the night under the capatiotes [sic]. The next day, 21 July, the emigrants went ashore at Castle Gardens and through the customs. On 22 July the journey began by rail. They were in 17 special cars drawn in two sections. A child 4 years old died on the trip and was buried at Pittsburgh, Penn. (no name given)

The company arrived in Cedar Rapids 24 July. A brief stop was made. The company celebrated Pioneer Day by singing Hymns, after which they continued their journey, arriving in (Ogden) at 9:00 p.m. on 29 July.

They were welcomed by many relatives and friends and served refreshments by the Relief Society. The next morning 30 July, the baggage of over 700 souls were distributed, going to near and distant points. It is believed that not one box or package was missing.

From the Roster of British Saints and the Deseret News and shipping records. The company continued their journey by rail to Utah in charge of Niels P. Rasmussen, Chaplain, arriving at Salt Lake City 29 July 1880.

We find listed in the shipping records as follows: The passengers on the steamship “Wisconsin”

81-1 Jensen, Niels Christen, 38 Mosbjerg, Aalborg Conference to New York;

82-2 Jensen, Dorthea Marie, 41 Aasted, Aalborg Conference to New York;

83-3 Gertrud 9, Tolne, Aalborg Conference to New York;

84-4 Amalie 4, Mosbjerg, Aalborg Conference to New York;

85-5 Jens 2, Tolne, Aalborg Conference to New York;

86-6 Ane Marie Anderson, 69 Mosbjerg, Aalborg Conference to New York.

Niels and Dorthea, with their three children and Dorthea’s mother, Ane Marie Andersen, left Salt Lake 30 July for Spring City, Sanpete County to find their beloved friend Jim Christensen and their two little daughters.

NOTE: (In Denmark until 1880 the wife kept her maiden name. She never took her husband’s name, Ane Marie was named in Parish records as Ane Marie of Andersdatter. If a male would be Andersen.)

Sine went to the home of Jim Christensen, she was the only one who spoke Danish except Jim. They had a large family, but took in a little Danish girl. He had a son the same age as Sine, but the language barrier didn’t stop him from teasing and tormenting her. That was a hard year for Sine. Part of the time she worked in the field with Brother Christensen and his boy. She was always happy to clear the table and do the dishes so she could eat any left over food. It was not that they wouldn’t give her enough, she was to timid to ask for it.

From the history of Sine Oline Jensen Nielsen by her daughter Cleo Cluff. Little Andrea was sent to a family in Elsinore, Utah.

Andrea says in her history that when she went to school they teased her and made fun of her clothes. The clothes her mother had made for her before she left Denmark. Also, she couldn’t speak English, so had a hard time. The students were always telling her that she had no father, that he wouldn’t come back and get her, but Andrea said he will come, I know he will.

So the day Niels came to school to get her, she ran and put her arms around his neck and said to the class, “now you see, I had a papa and he did come for me.”

They made their home in Spring City, where Niels bought a quarter lot of a block about 2 ½ acres, on the South East corner of the block just West of Sidney Allred and North of Carl Hansens.

Niels followed his trade as a tinnier, which most of the people in Spring City called them Brother and Sister Tinker. Then in the following May after they got to Spring City, a son was born to them on 24 May. His name was Niels Brigham. He was a sickly child and had rheumatic rheumatism and they didn’t think he’d grow up, so they had his Patriarchal Blessing, which said he’d go on a mission.

Grandpa made a box for Niels to be in, since he couldn’t lay down. Their faith and prayers of the Priesthood made him well. He was healed and he was a strong and healthy man until he died at age 79 years of a heart attack.

Niels had a cow and the stable was washed and scrubbed every day. They also raised pig for meat. Niels, Jr. says that they didn’t have much to eat. Corn bread made out of water and a little vinegar and soda to raise it, but they were a happy family.

They all attended school in Spring City. Sine went to the third grade, then persuaded her parents to let her go to work at Salt Lake as they were having such a hard time. She found a place as a maid for 25 cents per week. She worked for President Grant also.

When she was 15 or 16 she went to work at Rowland Hall Girl’s School. Through a friend she met her future husband, Carl Emil Nielsen. He was a dashing young Dane. Emil fell in love with this little girl and the were married 4 Sept. 1884 in Spring City. They lived in Salt Lake until 1892 when they moved to Mexico.

Note: Carl Emil Nielsen was born in the Aarhus conference. Many of the small villages cannot be found on a map.

Gertrud married Calvert Allred 31 May 1888 and on 25 Oct. 1890 Calvert took as his 2nd wife Gertrud’s sister Andrea. They moved to Deming, New Mexico, in team and wagon and on to Mexico in 1890.

Niels and Dorthea sold their home in Spring City in 1890, with sons Jim and Niels moving to Mexico. They lived in Dublan Chih., Mexico for 18 months. Niels didn’t like it, so he and his son Niels came back to Spring City and lived with Sister Madsen; Emil’s mother, until Dorthea and Jim came back to Spring City. They had stayed at her daughter’s, Gertrud and Andrea’s home. They came back six months later.

Niels bought the other corner. The house on the North East corner of the same block, where they lived before going to Mexico...(I was born in this house.)

(They had a cow, pigs, chickens, and grandpa raised wheat on the west of the house.) Then in 1900 , Dorthea and Niels and Niels their son went to Mexico for Christmas. In the spring of 1901 Dorthea came back to Utah and Niels stayed to do carpenter work for Emil Nielsen. He was a carpenter and cabinet maker.

It was here at Dublan at a dance that Niels met his future wife, Harriet Emma James. She said when she saw Niels at the dance,. “I am going to marry that man.” She did on 16 Nov. 1901.

In the fall of 1902 Niels and Harriet came back to Spring City to go through the Temple. While here 5 March 1903 I was born in Spring City, Utah. They went back to Mexico the fall of 1904 and back in 1906.

Niels C. Jensen went on a mission to his native country, Denmark. He arrived in Denmark on 5 July 1905, just fifteen years to the day he had left Denmark. While he was gone Grandma raised the wool (lamb), sheared and washed and carded the yarn and knit shawls, socks and vests. She sold them to keep grandpa on his mission. He arrived home 17 July 1907. He was a good missionary, but didn’t convert his family. He obtained a lot of Genealogy on his, and grandma’s lines. Grandpa did temple work for them, also for Jens Christian Neilsen, who died before he accepted the gospel.

He was a custodian for the school I went to in Spring City. We had a big pot bellied stove in the center of the room at the school house to heat the place.

Grandpa loved very strong cheese, which he used to buy at Laurtz O. Larsen’s store. They also had a man selling salted fish, who used to go around once a week and they bought fish from him.

Their table was always set with cheese and butter and anyone who came in had to eat. How my sisters and I loved to go to their home and have a crust of graham bread with lots of butter and cheese on it.

The Danish men used to come to see grandma to get something to eat. Jim Christensen would always come and would say is Brother Tinker at home. When grandma said “No”, and asked if he’d like a cup of coffee and something to eat, he would say, “Oh, yes”, I would.

Grandpa and Grandma had family dinners. Aunt Amalia and Uncle Ed and family, and my dad’s family, and their best friend, Jim Christensen and his wife were there.

One day as I was going from school to the church for Primary, I stopped at Larsen Store to look at a big red candy horse. It was expensive, 25 cents. Grandpa was there. He always gave us kids something, so he ask me “what I’d like”. I said “that horse”. He bought it and gave it to me. I took it home. I was so proud of it. When mama saw it, she was furious. She said, “Where did you get it”? I said, “Grandpa bought it for me.” :”Well,” she said, “you can’t ask Grandpa for things. You take it right back.

With a heavy heart, I walked slowly down three blocks to grandpa’s house and gave it back to him and told him what mama had said. He being a wise man, never said anything, but just took it back.

On Christmas I was so happy as here came grandpa and gave me the horse. I put it up on the mantle by the clock and just looked at it. It was too pretty to eat, but in July or August it was so hot it started to melt, so mama told me to take it down and all of us kids ate it.

Grandma wore a big bob, a shawl or hat on her head, as she had scarlet fever in Denmark and lost her hair, except a little bit. She parted it in the middle and wore these different things. She wore a big full black shirt with a pocket on each side, in which she always carried lump sugar. Whenever we saw her, she would give us some. We always had some when we went to her home.

I couldn’t stand to chew it, so I’d take it and go out under the bridge, which was on the North East corner of their lot, where the creek ran by, there I’d soak it in the water and eat it.

Grandpa did the work, or most of it, for the names he got in Denmark. I always wanted to be baptized for the dead, but didn’t have a chance. I did later in the 50's.

I stayed or slept at grandpas and grandma’s the last year before grandpa died. He had consumption and pneumonia. If he got real bad I could go get Dad or someone. I drew water from the 100 foot well for the cow. Harvey used to come and milk her. Grandpa died 14 Dec. 1914. Grandma sold her home and moved over to Aunt Amanda, where she lived until she passed away 28 Aug. 1918.

Grandpa made tin cups, pans, coal shelet [sic] and shovel, etc., which he sold and paid 10% tithing on it. He really paid 100% tithing as he never took out the price of the tin.

Niels Christensen Jensen was ordained a Priest 20 Sept. 1874 in Denmark and a Seventy

7 Aug. 1884 by John Larsen in Spring City, and a High Priest 28 March, 1908 by Peter Mogensen. He was a spiritual man and could heal. When a child, I had an ear ache so much, mama did everything for it, but still it hurt so bad. I said if grandpa would administer to me, it would stop, so they went and got grandpa. He did bless me and it stopped and I went to sleep. I hadn’t slept all night.

Grandma’s mother, Ane Marie Andersen died 18 Nov. 1889 in Spring City and is buried by the side of grandpa and grandma Jensen.

In memory of my dear grandparents, who gave up their home, family and friends for the Gospel, and came to Zion, that their descendants could have the blessings of this wonderful Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

If we will be faithful and work for it, we may some day meet them in the Celestial Kingdom of our Lord, to live with them for eternity. I pray that grandpa and grandma will be blessed and with their parents and grandparents and all their ancestors, they will accept the work he did for them, and also the work I did.

Until we meet them in that wonderful home in Heaven, I pray this short story of them may

help their descendants to work so they can go where they are to thank them for the privilege of living in this promised land of America, and having their names on the records of His Church, to be judged according to their faith and works.

by Vennus Cluff

Niels Christian Jensen was born 30 June 1842 in Mosburg, Denmark, the son of Jens Nielsen and Gertrude Marie Hansen. His wife was Dorthea Marie Jensen, born 16 March 1839 in Aasted, Denmark. She was the daughter of Jens Christian Nielsen and Anna Marie Andersen.

Niels Christain Jensen was a tin smith by trade. Little is known of the early life of he and his wife except that they were good, faithful, hard working people. One day it was reported that there were Mormon Elders in town who were holding a meeting that evening. They were to be feared and wives and children were to be watched or they might be coaxed away and taken to Utah to be slaves to the Mormon men.

Niels Jensen being a community minded man, together with Jim (or Jens) Christensen went to the meeting to break it up and invite the men to leave town. They arrived at the meeting a little late so decided to sit down and wait until the meeting was closed then take the Elders out of town and bid them leave. Before the meeting was ended however they were both converted that the Elders spoke the truth. They spent most of the night with the Elders, not to take them from town but to listen and ask questions. They and their families were soon baptized. This was done 1 January by Elder A. Pedersen.

At this time Niels and Dorthea Jensen had 4 children; Sine Olene Jensen born 3 June 1867

Mosburg, Denmark, Ole C.N. Jensen born 14 October 1868, Tolne, Denmark, Gertrude Marie Jensen born 16 October 1870, Tolne, Denmark, Andrea Jensen born 23 October 1872, Tolne, Denmark.

After they were baptized every effort was made to go to Zion (Utah) to be with the Saints.

They worked, saved and went without to have the needed means to make the trip. There was a group going in May 1879 and they hoped to be ready to go with them but when the time arrived there wasn’t enough money. Jim Christensen and some Elders were going however and offered to help by taking two of the girls. Sine, eleven years who could go for half fare and Andrea, five who could go free of charge and who if they waited another year would have to pay full and half fare. It must have been hard but desire to be with the Saints and with their love and faith in the missionaries they got their two little girls ready and sent them thousands of miles away across the deep blue ocean not knowing how soon they might see them. Grandfather Jensen was a stern man but he took his oldest daughter in his arms and shedding a tear, said, “Sine, I know I’ve been cross at you sometimes but don’t hold it against me. Remember I love you dearly.” He made a little tin plate and cup for each little girl which they carried with them to eat from while on the trip.

The following summer another group was going to Utah and again their plans were to go but as time drew near there still wasn’t enough money so Grandfather decided the Grandmother and the children would go and he and his oldest son, Ole, would wait and come later. His parents were very much opposed to Mormonism and did all in their power to prevent their son and family from going but when they saw he was sending his family away alone and nothing they could do to stop it they said if he would relinquish all claim to their estate and leave Ole with them they would give him the needed money for his trip so he could go with his family. Ole had lived most of his life with his grandparents, they were old and needed him so Grandfather accepted and on 3 July 1880 they left from Kjobengavn and on 10 July sailed from Liverpool, England on the ship “Wisconsin” and arrived at New York 21 July 1880. The company journeyed by rail in charge of Capt. Niels P. Rasmussen and arrived in Salt Lake City 29 July 1880. The Relief Society at Ogden served them sandwiches as they went through there.

Liverpool shipping records list

81-1 Jensen Niels Chr. 38 Mosburg, Den. New York

82-2 Jensen Dorthea 41 Aasted, Den. New York

83-3 Jensen Gjertrud 9 Tolne, Den. New York

84-4 Jensen Amalie 4 Mosburg, Den. New York

85-5 Jensen Jens 2 Tolne, Den. New York

They had another daughter born in Denmark who died as a child, Hansmine, born 8 August 1876, died 8 June 1877.

They left Salt Lake City and went to Spring City where their two little girls were and where their life long friend Jim Christensen lived. There they made their home. Another son was born to them Niels Brigham Jensen, 24 May 1881.

Grandfather Jensen went back to Denmark on a mission in 1906 returning in 1908. The little picture of Grandfather in your genealogy book is taken from a missionary picture of him. He was 62 years old when he left for his mission. She raised the wool, carded and spun it into yarn and knit it into articles to be sold. They were a kind and loving couple. They always had their table ready and would serve lunch and time any one came in, no matter the time of day. The Danish people of Spring City were always good friends, visiting together often and keeping alive a lot of their Danish custom. It is said by her grandchildren that Grandmother always carried lump sugar in her apron pocket to give to her grandchildren. They were 100% full tithe payers. He was a tinner or tinker by trade, he would buy to tin, make it up into quart cups, buckets strainers or whatever the people wanted, sell them and then pay 10% for tithing on the money without taking out the price of the tin.

My husband said of Grandmother when we went to see them at the time we were married that she looked so sweet and saintly like he would expect an angel to look. Grandfather worked in the Manti temple doing for his close relatives from 1888 until 1890 then the last 3 years of his life he worked in the temple doing for those he had done research for in Denmark while on his mission. Each winter for the last three winters he took Pneumonia and the Doctor said he couldn’t get well as his lungs were so badly damaged but he did recover and went back to his temple work. He passed away 14 Dec. 1916 in Spring City, Utah. Grandmother passed away

23 Aug. 1918. He was ordained a High Priest 28 March 1908 by Peter Mogensen.